How to set up your proposals to use your own domain
How it is right now
As it is right now, your recipients are directed to 'https://betterproposals.io/proposal/'
It looks like this in the address bar:
If you’re going for the 100% branded look (which you should), then you’ll want to change that ‘betterproposals.io’ part.
This feature is only available on our monthly paid plans.
Here’s how you do it
First, hover over your profile picture in the top right corner of your Dashboard and click 'Settings'. From there, pick the brand you wish to set a custom domain for under the 'Branding' section.
Next, move to the 'Custom Domain' tab and click the answer that's relevant for your current website access options.
As explained on the screen, you will choose:
- Yes if you have FTP/SFTP access and the ability to upload PHP files.
- No if you don’t have FTP/SFTP access. In this case, we will host the files for you. You will just need to point an A record to our IP address and follow on-screen instructions.
If you’re not sure about this, no worries - we’ve got you covered! :)
Click ‘No idea’ and you'll see a pre-written email you can use to contact your web team or hosting provider - they'll be able to help you with this in minutes.
Depending on the final answer on the above question, you will choose one of these two processes:
1) If you have the FTP/SFTP access and the ability to upload PHP files
In this case, just follow these steps:
- Create a new folder in the public folder of your domain (often called public_html). You can call this something like 'proposal'. If you are using Wordpress, make sure this new folder is created at the same level as wp-content, not inside it.
- Download the files, unzip them and upload the individual files, untouched and unedited into the new folder. Make sure the files are uploaded directly into that folder, not inside any other folder like 'CustomDomainFiles'.
- In the box on the page, type in the URL you will be using along with the folder name. Say your website is http://abccompany.com and your new folder is called ‘proposal’, enter http://abccompany.com/proposal into the textbox. You can also use a subdomain if you like, it works in exactly the same way.
- Click 'Save'
- This will display a red box. Click the 'Test My URL' button to make sure you've set everything up correctly. This should open a success page on your domain.Note: Loading the direct URL (http://abccompany.com/proposal/) will display a blank page. If you saw the success page on testing then it's working. When you create a proposal, you'll see it load on your URL when you click the Preview link.
- When the test is successful, click 'Confirm and Activate' and you're all good to go.
If at any time you want to switch your custom domain off, simply replace the URL in the box with https://betterproposals.io/proposal.
2) If you don't have a PHP server
You must have a PHP based server and FTP or SFTP access to upload the files or it won’t work. If you don’t, worry not, we can help you sort this out. ;)
An alternative option is to point a subdomain to our server and we will host the files for you.
For us to host the files, you need to make some DNS changes at domain level. If that's not something you're familiar with then it's best to ask your web developer or even the domain provider's support team. All you need to do is create an A record for the subdomain 'proposal' (this is often called the name or host of the record), and point this to the IP address 188.8.131.52 (often labelled as 'points to' or 'address'). Once this is done, send an email through to email@example.com with the full subdomain that you are using (e.g. proposal.yourdomain.com) so that we can get it set up on your account for you.
This is available at no extra cost on all monthly and annual paid plans.